The last couple of days have been ideal painting days with warm temperatures and low humidity. I was able to paint the 8 hatch reefer previously mentioned as well as prime a tank car model and the CN mechanical reefer. On the 8 hatch I added a line of rivets over each door. It was my first experience with Archer decal rivets and the application went well. They are now sandwiched between two primer coats. The tank car I’ll talk about at another time, but last evening I began the rivet application on the CN mechanical reefer. This is going to be a labor of love, considering the immensity of the project. Thank goodness I am only doing one.
The car ends are made up from a series of individual stamped horizontal ribs that are in turn riveted to each other all the way across. For the ends alone, that is quite a few rivets. I have found that holding the model in a soft vise makes the work much easier because it frees up both hands.
In this next view you can see the rivets.
Once both ends are completed, I will move to the sides. Both sides are different. One has a screen panel on the end where the refrigeration unit is. The other side has a sliding panel that allows access to the unit for service. The panel itself and the car side above it have louvers. I will be using Archer louver decals to simulate those details. The real challenge however will be to add the rivets that join each side panel to the next one. The prototype photo illustrates what’s needed to model this unique car. Should keep me out of mischief for some time to come.
Thus far the alignment of the rivet strips on the end were easy because I could center them in the corrugation grooves. When I get to the sides I am going to try placing thin tape along the vertical seams and then sliding the wet decals over to just touch the tape. This makes a little fence to work against. To apply I dip the decal strip in distilled water and then remove it and wait maybe 30 seconds. This allows the decal to thoroughly wet out and be ready to slide into place. Once the decal is in place and dried a bit, I then apply Micro Sol to soften the decal and adhere to the surface. Then it will be all about repeat, repeat, repeat…….